Skip to main content

Lion City

Delayed entry. 


Date of arrival 3/3/24 


Arrived to the airport 15 minutes earlier than the expected arrival. As usual AirAsia asked me to check in my hand carry for free again. I don’t really like checking in luggage as I dislike waiting for it at the baggage claim but oh well I’m not rushing so I just comply. Alright I was wrong, baggage claim was so easy but before that clearing the customs here is very easy! It is automated and I Love it! I just scan my passport and go through a second security check where the machine ask for my thumbprint and that’s it! It took about 60 seconds or so. Then I went to their very clean and nice smelling wash room with the option of a squat toilet! (I need to say I Love this and did not expect Singapore to have this as I thought they might have move to sitting toilets only). Then I filled my water bottle and by the time I walk to claim my luggage it only took me a wait time of 3 minutes! After that I just followed all the signs and queue up for the bus to Jewel. The queue was pretty long as it is the school holidays and it is a weekend but anyway being in Changi airport as a tourist was so therapeutic so I don’t mind the wait. 


My friend arrived an hour later than me and by the time she arrived I have already went to all floors of jewel. I was impressed with how the indoor waterfall and plants were made but I felt the waterfall was a little bit too short, it would have been nice if it was taller. Maybe seeing photos and seeing it in real does have a big spatial difference and I had imagined it to be way bigger so therefore the wow effect was less than I had anticipated. We opted to eat at the food court and I regret getting the claypot mushroom chicken rice. It is not tasty although it is reasonably priced. Actually I had a very huge dim sum breakfast before boarding the plane and I should have just skipped lunch. I was just so relieved to know my wise card was working well as it was the first purchase I made. Then we proceed to check in to our hotel which was quite a nice place at farrer park. The whole country seems to have so many swifties walking around in very interesting outfits full of bling and also make up. Even the hotel was blasting Taylor Swift’s songs. I love some of her songs but I’m just not crazy enough to go to a crowded stadium just to see her from afar. A lot of my friends kept saying it’s such a waste that I did not go see her but I think it’s a personal preference besides I did not like the fact that she was only exclusive to Singapore for the SEA region. 


I then proceed with my plans to walk around Garden’s by the bay and had dinner at Satay by the bay (funny name but I didn’t eat any satay there as I never liked satay). I was very satisfied with the Singapore Hokkien noodle and it is different than Malaysian version as in the noodle is pale in colour. It will definitely be a dish that I will miss from Singapore. After dinner I enjoyed the free Garden Rhapsody which encompasses of the grove trees being lighted and there’s classical music playing. It is very impressive that the lights changes according to the beat of the music and it was so romantic and calming. I wish my husband was there with me holding my hand. I guess if I stay in Singapore it will be a place that I will frequently visit just to enjoy nature. I didn’t make it to the botanical gardens this time nor the science museum and since I brought back  80% of the total Singapore dollar I changed, I think I will just go there for a proper vacation another time. Besides no point to convert back to Malaysian ringgit which is getting so small I doubt we can call ourselves an upper middle income country more like a lower income country. Another thing that impress me is that things are well maintained it’s like they have never aged at all. The buildings, the MRTs the busses, the roads, everything is just tip top. 


I also seems to overpack a little because at the end of the 5days 4nights, I still have 2 sets of clean clothes and a few clean underwear. I shouldn’t have packed my huge water bottle as I was so afraid that the hotels will not have a proper water dispenser and was thinking to take as much water at the conference venue to avoid buying water. The hotel I stayed had a nice water dispenser along with a proper gym. Gosh I forgot to check out their exercise place at another level of the floor. Basically everyday I don’t have time as the conference itself keeps me occupied from 8-6 approximately daily. Also there’s a lot of water dispensers at the conference venue so I don’t even have to bring my water bottle. Anyway it was good to bring a water bottle but perhaps next time I should find a slimmer and smaller bottle so as not to occupy so much of space in my bag. The hotel also provided very clean towels and proper shampoo, conditioner, hand wash and body wash. It’s not some cheap skate unbranded cleaning product. So actually if I’m earning SGD, I don’t think the hotels are too pricey but of course with Taylor swift concert held at the same time all the prices are just more expensive than usual which is super annoying for me. Anyway I barely had time to enjoy at the hotel just to go there to sleep and have very good showers as the water temperature was always constant and the flow was good. 


I didn’t really go food hunting and there’s suppose to be lunch provided by industries but it seems to be insufficient to feed the 5044 people who are there. So ended I only had lunch one out of 3 days that had free lunch. I would say that the food made by Suntec is really good and I have no complaints at all! Their packaging is environmentally sustainable so are the cutleries. Since it’s my first world congress, I get to experience alcohol being served and that was nice for a change. There were wine and beer and I opted for a glass of Sapporo beer which was really good! They had wine on the second day too but I was too busy going to the seminars and did not queue for it. There were unlimited coffee and it wasn’t those basic coffee but more like cafe grade stuff with a menu of chai latte/ cappuccino/ flat white/ chocolate peppermint/ chocolate etc. I drank mostly chai latte, chocolate and chocolate peppermint daily. There weren’t so many freebies from the exhibition but I manage to take home a few pen. One of the societies were actually giving out sunscreen/ lip balm and another item which I haven’t figure out what it is and forgot to ask what it was for. I also had the chance to eat Romanian rum and raisin chocolate and it tasted really good and complimented the person resulting in me getting lots of chocolates in return. 


Since I am going to get a complimentary registration for the next congress in two years time, I will need to start saving up for my trip because it will be held in Marrakech. I am already feeling very excited about it and I hope in the next event I could submit an abstract and present something. I am so enthralled and encouraged by a lot of people around the world doing things to make a positive change and I believe I can be part of it too! 


Okay back to the food, I definitely think the food there is just alright but there are a few dishes that I enjoyed such as the Hakka abascus yam cake I bought from bugis street and also the mala chicken feet and chives wrapped inside a bread at people’s park China town. Also I super approve the roast pork and duck I ate at Boon Keng. I asked for added meat and it only cost like SGD 7.50 if I remembered correctly. I was shock that additional meat only charges SGD 1.50 and the person gave me a large bowl of soup with more meat inside. Seriously I don’t know how Singapore who does not have many raw materials can still ensure the food prices stay low. (Again it will not make sense to convert to MYR every time I spend, so yeah I think they are super lucky to still have such cheap prices for food). Also, their public transport is so efficient and cheap that I think it will be more troublesome to drive around. I think their population is also less obese and most people I scan randomly looks pretty fit and healthy. Also they are not as cold as I thought they would be. When I ask for directions they are courteous and one middle age man even asked me actively if I was lost because I guess I look so confuse holding my phone trying to figure out the direction to walk with Google map.


I think there are also many beautiful/ handsome people and they are well dressed or their dressing is interesting at times. Actually no one bothers what you wear. I see a lot of people just wearing sports bra and hot pants in the evening for exercise and no one bothers. Damn if that was the case in the place I live now, it would probably be in the headlines the next day. I felt so good to be wearing the dresses I have as I too dress so conservatively at the place that I stay that showing just my legs made me felt naked due to the surrounding people mentality. Also I will feel very unsafe if I show a little bit of skin since majority is so conservative! It really would be nice to be able to wear whatever we want without other people making a huge fuss about it. 


Okay I shall continue to log about the rest of my trip in my next post. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Singapore

Continuation from yesterday’s post.  I finally ate the ice cream which is sandwiched between two wafers that I saw before and it was yummy because there’s like a huge block of ice cream and the wafer was thin. I chose peppermint chocolate and raspberry swirl. It was really fun to eat that on the helical bridge that totally looks like a DNA strand. I really love this region and it was also the same place where the fun run was held. So I got to go across the helical bridge twice. I am also very happy to finally seen the Merlion and since it was early in the morning during the fun run, the place was rather quiet and there were not many crowds. I wanted to properly run the fun run but I end up walking most of the time just enjoying the scene and talking to people since it was supposed to be a networking event. Delegates from 142 countries were there but I only manage to make friends from Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, India, Indonesia, Germany and New Zealand. It was quite hard to make more

往前看

 “如果没有方向,往哪里走都是前方” 现在的我好像在浓雾中寻找出路。 我觉得我并没有执着, 我只是觉得有时候好像还在梦境里。我依然想念着一些过去。好好的问自己到底想的是什么。 我可以问心无愧的说我想的并不是爱情,而是友谊。 我一直在折磨自己,觉得自己好像一直在犯错因为心里还是有他。 闺蜜都说我必须斩草除根把他忘得一干二净因为他只是个过客。 可是这并不是我对待一份感情的方式。由于自己的确在爱情世界里出轨了,所以觉得自己是个贱女人。 我觉得我需要把这个想法改掉,给自己个改过自新的机会, 不要再给自己贴上负面标签。仔细的想,我怀念的是一起用Discord玩游戏, 听听他分享他如何对待他的学生(他的分享是很有趣, 当他成功突破一些难搞的学生我会替他感到开心), 突然得到他的一个来电(我是一个喜欢聊天的人,自然会感到很开心有人愿意花时间和我聊天),我难过时他懂得安慰我, 陪我看戏(真的没想过一起上网看戏时间好玩的事)。这一切其实我的丈夫也能为我做, 除了玩游戏和看戏因为我丈夫完全不喜欢玩游戏,也没时间陪我看戏,天天都过着时间不够用的日子。自从他不在我生活里出现了,我觉得就少了一点我每天都能期待的事。这些期待也许是新鲜感,同时也是因为我们有太多相似的想法, 聊起来就好像找到知音。就算不能每天联络 (每天和异性联络对于一个有夫之妇也不对吧就算没有暧昧),只需要知道他还是我的朋友,我们还是能偶尔沟通,我会好受多了。  可是亲爱的,要成长就必须愿意尝一尝一些难受的滋味因为这是成长的代价。我是一个吃不了苦的人, 习惯在温室里成长,一直都依赖着我生命里可靠的家人,爱人,知音来呵护我。我不知不觉也连累了很多人来帮我克服自己心里的障碍。 知音忙了一整天值班然后到了咖啡馆想休息放松心情,却得花半个小时在电话里听我哭个痛快 (这是第一次默默的离开他的时候)。 弟弟也花了很长的时间开导我,因为弟弟比我结婚更久我觉得他能帮我解开心里的结。父母对我感到失望,但还接受我爱着我,没有放弃我。丈夫更不用说了,被伤的人是他可是还必须理智的面对一个被自己的感觉蒙蔽了思考能力的我。 他不是圣人,我觉得迟早他那颗纯洁善良的心也会被我伤透。我当然不要继续下去连累我身边重要的人,更不要他们瞧不起我,这么大的一个人了还不能自己解决一些芝麻绿豆的事。之前觉得他们对我的呵护然我有点窒息的感觉是因为我一直给他们的印象是一个无法

Divorce

“When two people decides to get a divorce, it isn’t a sign that they “don’t understand” one other, but a sign that they have, at least, begun to.” - Helen Rowland People always say marriage is a lot of hard work and it isn’t easy yet many of us still decide to get married. I never knew how heavy the responsibility is to have a ring placed on my ring finger and how much it changes me as a person. I was afraid of getting married because I was afraid of the possibility of having a divorce. I often thought that as long as I do not get married, there will never be a possibility for a divorce. The reason I am afraid of divorce stems from my personal believes that a woman’s capability is measured by how well she can manage her household. Perhaps it is very traditional and old fashioned but I do think that there’s a reason why Mother Nature is called “mother” instead of “father” because women play a better role in nurturing, giving and caring. Women rely more on their emotions and intuition an