Skip to main content

Strawberry Moon

Tonight a brilliant pink moon decorates the sky, it was supposed to be a “strawberry” moon since it is said to be pink but with the naked eye it just looks extra orange to me. I badly wanted to view the moon a little longer but the clouds had better plans of engulfing the moon’s beauty and shielding her from my lustful eyes. Indeed I find the moon to be a very attractive celestial object with lots of mystery. I once heard the elders say that people with mental illness tends to get extra psychotic during the full moon, I’m not sure what is the basis of that. Other than that we usually do not purchase crabs during the full moon as the bright moon light causes crabs to have difficulty to feed on their prey and are thus skinnier and less meaty. Some biodynamic farmers also uses the moon to time their farming activities. It just so happens that my ruling planet is the moon and maybe that is why I feel rather fascinated by it. 


Lately someone have consulted me regarding their health and I was flabbergasted at how some doctors treat their patients. This is a real scenario occurring somewhere in Bangladesh where a young healthy woman had a health check to confirm that she is pregnant. She was detected to be anaemic during her checkup but was not given any medications such as iron supplements to help boost her iron stores. The worst part was not subjecting her to further investigations such as serum iron, total iron binding capacity, or a haemoglobin electrophoresis if thalassemia was suspected. I had no idea she was not given any supplements during the early phase of her pregnancy or I would have advised her to purchase some from the pharmacy. What I felt could pass as negligence was when her relative needed blood and she volunteered to donate blood but was deem unfit as she was anaemic, yet nothing was done to investigate why was she anaemic. I’m glad during my training in paediatrics as a house officer, a paediatrician told me that if I were to observe something abnormal in a person (not even patient but a random human being in general) it is my duty as a healthcare provider to advice for further checkup. I still recalled it was the patient’s caretaker with jaundice that was the trigger for such teaching to take place. 


Back to the story of the lady who is now at her 33rd week of pregnancy which means in about 5 weeks she is expected to give birth. She was only given supplements at 6th month of gestation and investigated for suspected thalassemia. What was peculiar to me is that she was not investigated for iron deficiency concomitantly. Alas her haemoglobin electrophoresis revealed that she has beta thalassemia minor and the doctor proceed to investigate for iron deficiency. I find the management to be delayed and sequence to be odd, and what I felt was unnecessary was offering her a blood transfusion at 33 weeks when she has no anaemic symptoms and her baseline haemoglobin have raised by 1 gram due to consuming iron rich food/ supplements and avoiding iron chelators such as tea. Since I am not an obstetrician, I consulted a colleague regarding the need for blood transfusion and my colleague do not think it is necessary right now as there is no plans for delivery nor does she have any symptoms of anaemia and her haemoglobin is close to 9g/dL with a background of thalassemia minor. I suspect part of the reason for her to get a transfusion is because it could help the clinic obtain additional income as she will need to pay for the transfusion. I know it’s bad to slander others but I have low tolerance towards unnecessary treatments. She went to a private clinic instead of a government clinic as it was nearer and she thought the service would be better as she is paying more for the service. 


I think a lot of people both in my own country and other countries often believe that the service at public hospitals or clinics are inferior but I think it is quite unfair to say so. Definitely the waiting time is much shorter at a private facility however in terms of service I think it all depends on the healthcare personnel. There will always be bad healthcare personnel both in the public and private sector and likewise there is always good healthcare personnel at the public and private sector. Another relative narrated a horror story to me whereby a cardiologist told him that there are places where patients are given fake angiogram reports stating they have blocked vessels when in reality they do not have blocked vessels in order to subject them to insert stents into the “blocked” vessel which cost around 30k. This is clear cut unscrupulous and scary. If we cannot trust our healthcare providers, who can we go to when we are sick? I often hear a joke about heaven and hell where hell’s population is made up mostly by lawyers and doctors, I did not understand it back then but now looking at some scenarios I understand the reason. I personally think that healthcare personnel who hurt another human being during their most vulnerable and trusting state are worst than criminals. There is actually a Cantonese saying that says “take your life while you are ill” (趁你病,摞你命 Can3 Nei5 Bing6, Lo2 Nei5 Meng6). Sometimes I wonder why would someone choose to work in healthcare if they are not interested in providing the best care? Since it is a time consuming, modestly paid career, why would anyone choose to do this job if there’s no passion at all? 


Gosh, I do feel a surge of anger thinking about healthcare workers who are villains and it really tarnish the reputation of the fraternity. My Muslim superior told me that in their religion being a doctor is a very noble thing and he quoted something from the scriptures which I could not recall but the bottom line is it is really noble. Alright I should stop being angry, the last two days I woke up feeling angry and on both occasions it was because of a silly dream. The first dream was because my bouquet of flowers were deliberately destroyed by my brother which was a very weird dream but I was so annoyed and another dream was due to a unjust time table by my schedule maker where I am stationed at two places consecutively for 3 days and the schedule did not make any sense. I’m not sure why am I having these dreams as nothing I did in the day or any of my thoughts could relate to those dreams. 


If the strawberry moon could grant me a wish, I wish that the lady could have a safe natural delivery without much medical interventions such as a caesarean section or blood transfusions. 


Go away clouds, let me enjoy the strawberry moon a little bit more for the night. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

往前看

 “如果没有方向,往哪里走都是前方” 现在的我好像在浓雾中寻找出路。 我觉得我并没有执着, 我只是觉得有时候好像还在梦境里。我依然想念着一些过去。好好的问自己到底想的是什么。 我可以问心无愧的说我想的并不是爱情,而是友谊。 我一直在折磨自己,觉得自己好像一直在犯错因为心里还是有他。 闺蜜都说我必须斩草除根把他忘得一干二净因为他只是个过客。 可是这并不是我对待一份感情的方式。由于自己的确在爱情世界里出轨了,所以觉得自己是个贱女人。 我觉得我需要把这个想法改掉,给自己个改过自新的机会, 不要再给自己贴上负面标签。仔细的想,我怀念的是一起用Discord玩游戏, 听听他分享他如何对待他的学生(他的分享是很有趣, 当他成功突破一些难搞的学生我会替他感到开心), 突然得到他的一个来电(我是一个喜欢聊天的人,自然会感到很开心有人愿意花时间和我聊天),我难过时他懂得安慰我, 陪我看戏(真的没想过一起上网看戏时间好玩的事)。这一切其实我的丈夫也能为我做, 除了玩游戏和看戏因为我丈夫完全不喜欢玩游戏,也没时间陪我看戏,天天都过着时间不够用的日子。自从他不在我生活里出现了,我觉得就少了一点我每天都能期待的事。这些期待也许是新鲜感,同时也是因为我们有太多相似的想法, 聊起来就好像找到知音。就算不能每天联络 (每天和异性联络对于一个有夫之妇也不对吧就算没有暧昧),只需要知道他还是我的朋友,我们还是能偶尔沟通,我会好受多了。  可是亲爱的,要成长就必须愿意尝一尝一些难受的滋味因为这是成长的代价。我是一个吃不了苦的人, 习惯在温室里成长,一直都依赖着我生命里可靠的家人,爱人,知音来呵护我。我不知不觉也连累了很多人来帮我克服自己心里的障碍。 知音忙了一整天值班然后到了咖啡馆想休息放松心情,却得花半个小时在电话里听我哭个痛快 (这是第一次默默的离开他的时候)。 弟弟也花了很长的时间开导我,因为弟弟比我结婚更久我觉得他能帮我解开心里的结。父母对我感到失望,但还接受我爱着我,没有放弃我。丈夫更不用说了,被伤的人是他可是还必须理智的面对一个被自己的感觉蒙蔽了思考能力的我。 他不是圣人,我觉得迟早他那颗纯洁善良的心也会被我伤透。我当然不要继续下去连累我身边重要的人,更不要他们瞧不起我,这么大的一个人了还不能自己解决一些芝麻绿豆的事。之前觉得他们对我的呵护然我有点窒息的感觉是因为我一直给他们的印象是一个无法

Her Dream, His Dream

Once upon-a-time... ...and they lived happily ever after The End I bet most of the fairy tales we hear during our childhood years sounded very similar if not exactly as the statement above. I have always wanted my life to be similar to those story where there's magic, love, eternal happiness and most important of all my very own prince! Please note that prince here refers to life-partner and it does not equal to the average "boyfriend". It's not like I'm going to be seen with a wedding ring and a veil over my head very soon but I do admit, I would really love to get married with my prince as fast as possible so that I can reach the part of the story where " they live happily ever after". However, I learn that in reality, nothing can be as flawless as in the tales which have been the basic foundation of my life. If life has no flaws, earth would have been known as heaven. Even so, life is still beautiful and I learn that for a marriage to

Singapore

Continuation from yesterday’s post.  I finally ate the ice cream which is sandwiched between two wafers that I saw before and it was yummy because there’s like a huge block of ice cream and the wafer was thin. I chose peppermint chocolate and raspberry swirl. It was really fun to eat that on the helical bridge that totally looks like a DNA strand. I really love this region and it was also the same place where the fun run was held. So I got to go across the helical bridge twice. I am also very happy to finally seen the Merlion and since it was early in the morning during the fun run, the place was rather quiet and there were not many crowds. I wanted to properly run the fun run but I end up walking most of the time just enjoying the scene and talking to people since it was supposed to be a networking event. Delegates from 142 countries were there but I only manage to make friends from Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, India, Indonesia, Germany and New Zealand. It was quite hard to make more